West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Trip Report 11/29--12/10

Travel & news discussion about Anguilla

Trip Report 11/29--12/10

Postby Angie » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:51 am

Sorry this is so late, but with returning home to only 2 weeks until Christmas, the last two weeks were a blur. We had a wonderful time, but would not go again at this time of year taking two weeks away from the Advent season.

This was our 22nd Caribbean vacation, 8th trip to Anguilla, our favorite island. Living in central New York getting there is a bit of a problem, but we feel it’s worth the hassle. We took Jet Blue down to JFK 11/28 and spent the night. Got up at 3:30 am to be at JFK for our AA 7:15am flight to San Juan. What a day we had! We boarded the plane right on time, started to back away from the gate and stopped. Sorry folks we have a problem and maintenance is on its way. Sorry folks, they are taking this plane out of service, you’ll have to take all your belongings and go back into the terminal. A couple hours or so later, they bring another plane and after waiting to load all the luggage and food, etc. onto the plane, we start on our way again. Well this time we were actually running down the runway and the plane kept going and going and finally they slammed on the brakes! Sorry folks, hate to tell you this but this plane has a hydraulics problem and we can’t fly it. Back to the terminal again, unloaded everything and waited for several more hours. At this point we wondered whether maybe we weren’t supposed to go. Anyway the 3rd plane did get us to San Juan about 7 hours late which made us miss our connection to AXA. They put us up at the airport hotel and we finally got to Anguilla 24 hours late! What a disappointment!.

We stayed at Morgan Hill Villa this trip and enjoyed it very much. It is very well equipped and has a wonderful view.

We spent most mornings walking the beaches and exploring. We like Rendezvous, Cove, and Shoal Bay E. for best walking. Also walked on Long, Meades, Barnes, Shoal Bay W, and we finally made it out to Captain’s Bay and Windward Beach which were beautiful. We had just about every beach to ourselves in the mornings.

We took our chairs from the villa and spent most afternoons at either Cove Bay or Rendezvous. We also used the chairs and the beach at Trattoria the day we ate lunch there.

We ate a few breakfasts at the villa but enjoyed several breakfasts at the Overlook (now open every day for all three meals), Tasty’s (the everything omelette is delicious) and Serenity (fresh eggs and a beautiful view).

We had lunches at E’s Oven, Tasty’s, Trattoria, Smokey’s, English Rose, the Overlook, and take out from Fat Cat. My favorite lunch was at Smokey’s because Dumpa was hired by a private individual and just happened to be playing there that noon.

All our dinners were so good—Straw Hat, Oliver’s, Tasty’s, Koal Keel, Overlook, Picante, Trattoria Tramonto, Flavours. We also had good BBQ from B & D’s. We skipped some of our favorites this trip—Blanchards, Altamer, and Mango’s since this was our second trip this year and we had eaten at those places in June. If I had to pick a favorite I’d have to say Straw Hat. The food is always awesome, but it’s just so good to talk to Armel. She had lost her Mom to lung cancer the day before we were there, but she was working and her usual cheerful self. I hope her new place, Sunset, is a big success.

There was more rain than we had ever seen on Anguilla before….mostly passing showers but a very heavy rain lasting over an hour one morning and one rainy afternoon. We saw many spectacular rainbows and did manage to get in our beach walk every day. It was also quite windy but we never saw a mosquito!

Our trip home was long and uneventful. Had to overnight at JFK again and Jet Blue home to Syracuse.

All in all, a wonderful vacation and Anguilla is still our favorite island. Now time to start planning our next trip!

Happy New Year!
Angie

Postby pepper » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:11 pm

Thanks for your trip report.
You have whetted my appetite. I only have 70 days to go. (groan!)
I am sorry about your nightmare flying experience but am really puzzled as to why you chose not to simply go from Kennedy non-stop to St. Maarten and then take either the ferry or a small plane to AXA.
Just think, you'd have saved 24 hours and no hassles of transferring to another flight that also might not leave on time, plus your luggage only takes one plane.
(I'll never understand it!)
pepper

Postby Angie » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:41 pm

We have gone both routes and prefer going through San Juan rather than St. Martin. I got sick on the ferry once so won't do that again. We have done Trans Anguilla a couple times and that was fine except for the hassle on the return at St. Martin. We flew with award travel this trip and were able to get all the way to Anguilla on AA. It could have just as easily been an AA plane going to St. Martin that had problems. Unfortunately, American doesn't seem to be taking very good care of their planes and that's who we get our award travel with.
Angie

Postby pepper » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:44 pm

Fair enough.
pepper

glad i don't live in the cuse anymore

Postby jimmyz » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:32 pm

Although I grew up in Camillus (outside Syracuse), your post is just another of the many reasons I'm glad I live in Philly now...our one trip (with two little daughters, one a newly adopted girl from Ukraine) to Anguilla two springs ago was a short 3 1/2 hour direct flight to St. Maarten, easy ferry ride after...Of course, my parents, who still live in CNY, had never heard of Anguilla (I suspect most folks up there still haven't, despite its recent popularity..) Sounds like a nice trip though...my now 6 year old is dying to get back and hang with Earl the golden retriver at RBH before they close...
jimmyz

Return to Anguilla Travel Forum