West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Hello New Forum.

Travel & news discussion about Anguilla

Hello New Forum.

Postby john » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:00 pm

Hello Everybody. Love the new site. I had been reading the old site for years under the jc initials. Its great to see the familiar names(Pepper, Howard, AXA girl). I can not wait to return to AXA. I am now in upstate New York (20 miles from Canada).. I know this has been covered before but how is flying through SXM....all my trips have trough San Juan on American but their schedule now makes it difficult??

Thanks in advance!
john

Flying through St. Martin

Postby axabum » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:54 pm

Hello, John:

We started flying through St. Martin even before the airline who's name matches the first two letters of the alphabet started holding the government of Anguilla to ransom!

We have great connections from New England on USAir, our flight goes from Providence directly to SXM, we only have to disembark and re-board the same plane in Charlotte, so there is no chance of mis-connects or lost luggage.

In St. Martin, the process has always been very smooth and trouble-free. Occasionally traffic will be heavy, and you will miss your targeted ferry, but there is only a 30-minute wait for the next. We often ask the driver to take the long way to the ferry, which is more scenic, and avoids the worst of the traffic in Cole Bay. The taxi drivers have always been very helpful and accomodating, luggage handling is a breeze, always willing porters at the ferry both sides, of course tipping is expected!

We'll be using the route on Jan 16th., and can't wait to get back to paradise!
axabum

Flying through SXM

Postby john » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:20 pm

Thanks for the info..I am also looking at USAIR as my closest airport is Burlington(BTV)..Thanks again
john

Postby pepper » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:13 am

Traveling through St. Maarten is never as bad as the press it receives. Actually, it has been a no-brainer every time we have done it. I have read some of the horror stories in the past and I still wonder why they have never affected me.
Frankly, I would never opt for 2 planes and an interminable wait (possibly) in San Juan when I can just take one major non-stop flight and be right there after a short ferry ride or small 7-minute puddle jumper, while my luggage travels safely with me without fear of transfer or not making it onto the flight till the next day.
To each his own of course, but give me a non-stop flight directly to St. Maarten any day.
pepper

Postby axadreamer » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:35 am

We're doing the AA thing one more time (from Boston), but will use US Air from Providence to SXM in the future. We used US Air last year for the first time and it worked out well and a lot easier than driving to Boston.
axadreamer

Return to Anguilla Travel Forum