West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Préval to visit DR

Travel & news discussion about Haiti

Préval to visit DR

Postby KarenS » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:28 am

As reported in Prensa Latina: "Port-au-Prince, Feb 27 (Prensa Latina) Haitian President-elect Rene Preval, who won the February 27 elections with 51.15 percent of the vote, asserted his first visit abroad will be to the Dominican Republic in order to strengthen bilateral relations.

'Following the inauguration on March 29, my first trip will be to Santo Domingo, where I will speak with my counterpart, Leonel Fernandez, about incidents forcing him to shroten his tour of Port-au-Prince in December,' Preval told TV Channel 37.

The new Haitian president said his nation and the Dominican Republic would develop joint projects in areas such as immigration.

He described the annual immigration of thousands of Haitians to the Dominican Republic as a natural phenomenon common for both nations, termed Fernandez a friend, and extolled their excellent relations during his 1996-2000 mandate.

'I think the greatest challenge to Haiti and the Dominican Republic is to work together and grow in good relations, and I expect to have those with the president of that neighboring state,' Preval said."

What else does he have on the agenda? Has anyone read any reports as to his plans to pull Haiti together?
Karen for Caribbean-On-Line.com
KarenS
Site Admin

Return to Haiti Travel Forum