Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Trip planning for the newbie

Bahamas Travel & News discussion

Trip planning for the newbie

Postby BoltsRUs » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:34 pm

Hi all,
This will be our first trip to GBI or anywhere in the Bahamas for that matter. We're going to the Sheraton Lucaya 6/13-20. This trip we plan to not venture off the resort too far. We are staying AI, and as far as I can see there isn't a big "must see" activity or excursion that we didn't do while in Playa Del Carmen last year. Nice and easy is the plan. Are we going to really miss out on something if we stick around the general resort area? A couple more questions if anybody can answer it would be great:
It doesn't appear to be any issue with cash there since it is a 1:1 exchange. Do the locals have a preference when tipping?

Last year we gave our housekeeper a nice tip on arrival in order to make sure our room/wet bar and linens were well taken care of. Would that be the norm at the Sheraton too?

We might try to rent a waverunner, I'm hoping these are available nearby. Any info on availability/rates?

Are there Cuban cigars available on the island, and do I have to beware of the fakes? Any recommended places to find these would be appreciated.

Electricity-I know the island has 115/60Hz so that's good, but do the outlets have the polarized receptacles (one prong bigger than the other)or should I bring adapters?

I'm sure there will be more coming, but this is a good start. Thanks in advance!
BoltsRUs

Postby njwoods » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:03 pm

hello all,
Well,I have not been there yet. But about the tipping, I know in Mexico we tipped the house cleaning staff daily----not up front as you suggest.

As for the cigars, I can find stores in Nassau for you if that is of any use.

check this---- http://www.sunrisebeachclub.com/nassau_ ... igars.html
njwoods

Return to Bahamas Travel & News