Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Condition of Cayman Islands

Travel & news discussion about the Cayman Islands

Moderator: Skip

Condition of Cayman Islands

Postby lucyr » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:04 pm

We are coming to Grand Cayman in June for 6 days. After reading extensive material regarding the island, we made our decision based upon the good reviews. However, I recently talked to a friend who was on the island last Tuesday (cruise ship). She told me not to go to Grand Cayman and that is was "just a mess". She went on to say it's expensive, a lot of traffic, blah, blah, blah. I know that, doesn't matter. What I'm worried about is, is the island in good shape and just as beautiful as everyone says it is? Has anyone been there in the last couple of months? I'm sure I'm worried about nothing, but please let me know.

Thanks.
lucyr

Postby filter14 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:12 pm

Hi. My family stayed at the Meridian condos on centeral Seven Mile Beach back in January. We had been on the island pre-Ivan. There is a difference BUT I just started making plans for next January :) Changes are some restaurants no longer around but good news is new ones have opened. Some places are still fixing up but there are so many that are opened or even new that it's totally worth a trip. I think provided any visitor knows that they may see damage here or there and won't be thrown, it's a great place to vacation. Just do as you have already and read up as much as you can plus the most important piece is to make sure the place you choose is up and running.

Traffic was worse than we recall previously. Georgetown can be a nightmare(but then your friend was on the ones most responsible, cruisers :) I checked when there were the least amount of ships in dock each day and then picked that day to visit town.

Good luck in making a decision and have fun!
filter14

Postby lucyr » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:20 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. We just booked our airline tix, so we are coming and can't be more excited.
lucyr

Return to Cayman Islands Travel Forum