Search for

Travel Insurance

Get a FREE no obligation quote!

Follow Us:

West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Where is a good place to exchange cuban money?

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

Where is a good place to exchange cuban money?

Postby jcboy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:25 pm

Hi, I am from vancouver, canada. I have asked my currency exchange and they don't exchange cuban money. Where is a good place to exchange money?
jcboy

Postby YVR » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:28 pm

Sorry but you can only get CUC (Cuban convertible pesos) in Cuba.

At Varadero airport, there is an exchange kiosk in the luggage claim area once you arrive, or you can exchange at your resort. We exchange about $100.00 at the airport as follows:- one of us stands in the currency exchange line, while the other gets the luggage.

Take CDN dollars to exchange, as Cuba now has a surcharge on US dollars. Don't forget to set aside 25 CUC per person in cash for your departure tax!

You can also exchange any leftover CUC back to CDN dollars on departure at the airport, but the exchange rate is less favourable so we prefer to exchange smaller amounts of CDN$ to CUC on an as needed basis at the resort.

Enjoy your vacation!
YVR

where to exchange $

Postby Canuks » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:03 pm

We have found that if you are going to need a lot of money that it is best to go to a bank.

We were @ Cayo Guillermo and there is a bank at the Iberostar and worth the 5 minute beach walk. We were diving plus renting a car and we saved about $60.00 by going to the bank.

If you are only exchanging a bit, for tips and a few items the exchange locations at the airport or the hotels are adequate.
Canuks

Return to Cuba Travel Forum