Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Nkelly; are you back?

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

Nkelly; are you back?

Postby LisaB » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:17 am

Hey nkelly, how was trip? What was the beach like? I'm interested in hearing all about it; I'm sure Rodraad is too :)

LisaB
LisaB

Postby rodraad2006 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:40 pm

Oh rodraad is just dying to know about NKelly's trip
:}
rodraad2006

In love with Largo!

Postby nkelly » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:00 pm

Hi Lisa & rodraad!
Well, yes, we are home, back to the chill with SNOW on my verandah as I type! Unfortunately the email was not up and running at the hotel so I could not post. I have now registered and am "ligit" I guess.
Anyway, we had an absolutely amazing holiday. We arrived on opening day at the Sol Pelicano. The weather was superb...even better than the forecast (and that looked good prior to leaving). No rain, virtually no cloud, just brilliant, beautiful sunshine. We were delighted with the Sol Pelicano, we lucked out with an ocean front room that was steps from the beach and the beach restaurant. I am yet to prepare a review at tripadvisor but will do so because there is so much great stuff to report. The water color and clarity is unbelievable in front of our hotel and at Playas Paraiso and Sirena. I think Sirena is the perfect beach! We were in awe at the sheer beauty of nature at both of these spots. The water was relatively calm for the first 5 days (slight wave action but not difficult to enter). The last two days were red flagged as the wind changed and we witnessed a few rescues due to the undertow and cross current. The Pelicano is a great resort and the staff were very "gentle." Most are from the Isle of Youth and are not around much hustle and bustle yet. We rented a jeep and visited the Barcelo which is closed for business until December 1 (although people had booked into this spot and were bumped, some even booked 24 - 48 hours prior to departure with Air Transat knowing the hotel is closed ???) Please do not believe the reports that the "beach is back" because it is not! The tide is very strong and high on the beach in front of Barcelo. There is some sand but not much footage from the sandstone to the water line. I'm afraid many will be disappointed unless Mother Nature moves lots of sand in ASAP and eases up on the tide. I would not stay there even though it is quite a nice property...the beach makes or breaks it for us! Rodraad was correct to predict a new fan of the island might blossom because it has happened! We are planning to return in the new year (Feb or April). I'm off to Florida next Thursday for a couple weeks so one thing at a time HA!!! Flew over the Florida Keys so I know they are still there!!!
Regards,
nkelly (this is my first post so I hope I did this properly...apology if not)
nkelly

Postby LisaB » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:00 am

Welcome back nkelly. Glad you had a nice time! I was wondering where you were lol; I sure hate when the resorts don't have internet access; it's such a great way to stay in touch with home :)

How long of a ride from the airport to the resort?

When you get your review done you should post it on the review section of this site too.

Talk soon,
(can't get use to this new board)

LisaB
LisaB

Sol Pelicano

Postby nkelly » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:08 am

Hi LisaB!!!
Great "seeing" you around. I'm not sure about this new set up yet so I am not as anxious to be here as often, it's weird!!!
The trip from the airport to the hotel is about 7 minutes max! Shorter than on Cayo Coco. What are your plans? Will you be getting away in December? Do tell....
nkelly
nkelly

Postby LisaB » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:58 am

Oh that's a nice ride from the airport; I thought it was a a far distance for some reason.

No we are not going away in Dec afterall; so April it is (in and around then). Not sure where yet; but you know; have a list ha.

So do you have a favourite part of Cuba?

Thanks
LisaB
LisaB

Cayo Largo

Postby nkelly » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:35 pm

Hi LisaB!
Yes, the bus trip is great...blink and you are on the beach...just the way we like it!! The place is so tiny, when you rent a jeep you can rent by the hour. I just picked up my photos today and WOW!!
Hmmmm, a fav spot eh? For beach beauty and tranquility I have to choose Cayo Largo. I have not yet visited the Holguin area yet and certainly want to. I have different reasons to love everywhere I have ever visited in this world because they are all unique and have different appealing qualities. At this point however, my Tahiti / Moorea / Bora Bora / Huahine holiday ranks # 1 and will most likely remain there...very hard to beat and cannot wait to return. If you get the opportunity to go, take advantage, it's like nothing else you will ever experience if you have a love of beaches and spectacular water.
nkelly
nkelly

Postby LisaB » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:17 pm

Bora Bora....yes we certainly do hope to visit one day. I guess other places/beaches are hard to measure up! I agree every place we've been has it's own quality and for different reasons we like them all.

Take care,
LisaB
LisaB

Postby rodraad2006 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:22 am

Great

..now that rodraad has suceeded in finally getting NKelly to our Cayo Largo family (finally)

it's time to work on LisaB

Yes, one of the nice thing about Cayo Largo it's 10 minutes airport to hotel (if that)
rodraad2006

Postby Tuss » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:32 pm

I'm glad you finally got to discover Cayo Largo. I'm heading there on Saturday for my second visit. I have a question: what is the status of the beach in front of the Sol Club when you were there? I heard reports of "no beach" to "partially recovered beach". Any info would be appreciated.
Tuss

Cayo Largo

Postby nkelly » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:51 pm

Hi rodraad!!! Hi Tuss!
I have been looking for you rodraad since I returned! Yes, I am now an official member of the CL fan club!!
Tuss, we walked down in front of the Sol Club and they were in fact re-building the palapas (one full row was completed within 2 days). During the first 5 days when the wind was from the south the entire stretch of beach was just fine in my opinion. Even the last two days, with the wind now from the north, although the sea was rougher and higher, the water did not reach the "palapa line" if you will. There was also a full moon on those last two days. I think you will be just fine. When the beach returns to it's full width, pre-Wilma according to the lifeguards, I can only imagine how stunning it will be. Have a great holiday Tuss and be sure to report back to the fanclub Ha ha!!
LisaB, your next honey!!!!
nkelly
nkelly

Postby Tuss » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:53 pm

One more quick question: Was the volleyball net set up on the beach? I'm craving a good game of beach volleyball.

Oh, two questions: is the beach bar open??
Tuss

Cayo Largo

Postby nkelly » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:00 pm

Hi Tuss!
I did not see any beach vb but I know that the beach bar was up and running...and busy! Maybe as the beach improves they will be able to get the nets up.
Bon Voyage!
nkelly
nkelly

Postby Tuss » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:25 pm

Sounds like i'll have to fill the "volleyball void" with a few mohitos!!!
Tuss

Mmmmm Mojito!!!

Postby nkelly » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:48 pm

Ha Ha! Sounds like a great substitute! Looks like Gamma has "poofed" and is no longer affecting the weather. As of Thursday I will not have computer access for a few weeks so I'll be looking forward to getting caught up when I return home mid-December. Happy travels!
nkelly
nkelly

Return to Cuba Travel Forum