the West Indies
$12.95

Laptops and Cuba

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

Laptops and Cuba

Postby CanuckMark » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:17 am

Hi everyone!

It has been a long time since I've posted here, but we've been "out of the loop" a bit. It is good to see a few of the great people who helped us out in the past (used to post as "Mark B").

Anyway, on to my question: has anyone here recently brought a laptop with them to Cuba? We are going to Melia Cayo Santa Maria on Jan 7 and I was thinking of bringing along my laptop for a bit of entertainment and to get a bit done in the evenings (yes, I'm a geek). I brought an older laptop to Sol Cayo Guillermo two years ago and other then getting "pulled over" at Cuba customs on the way in, it wasn't a problem. BUT this is a newer unit I'd be bringing that I have a bit more invested into. Should I be concerned about confiscation? Power and security are not problems, it is the airport issue.

Mark
CanuckMark

Laptops and Cuba

Postby Steve-YYZ » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:25 pm

Hi Mark:

I travel with my laptop all the time to Cuba and have never had any real problems. I've been asked to turn it on for security checks, and Customs has seen it on entry, but never any problem.

One thing that really seems to help is to stop at Canada Customs on your way out of Canada and get the laptop registered with Canada Customs and you get a "Green Card" listing the equipment. This Green Card seems to really impress the Cubans that your laptop is "registered" with Canada Customs and the Cubans have always simply waived me on my way.

Laptops are becoming more and more normal for travellers and slowly the Cubans are realizing this.

Have a great trip.
Steve
Steve-YYZ

Postby CanuckMark » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:43 pm

Thanks Steve. I have a question - does your laptop have a DVD/CD drive? I contacted the Cuban Tourist info place in Toronto and they say that DVDs are illegal in Cuba, so my laptop (which has a combo DVD reader/CD Writer) would be a no-go, and it is a non-removeable type of drive. I'd love to bring it but don't want to risk it.

To be honest, this current info re DVDs is the thing that concerns me the most.

Mark
CanuckMark

Laptop

Postby Steve-YYZ » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:23 pm

Yes Mark my laptop has a DVD/CD combo drive but they've never even given it a second look. As I said, other than a single time checking that it was a laptop and asking me to turn it on, the other times they've never even asked me to take it out of the bag.

So while technically what you say about no DVD's in Cuba being allowed, for practical purposes they seem to ignore the ones in laptops. But they do stop people with the small portable DVD players. Go figure that one out! Mind you, I always arrive and depart Cuba through Havana on the regularly scheduled Cubana flight, which also generally has all the business travellers who almost universally have laptops with them.

What more can I say. "Cuba es Cuba"

Good luck and have fun no matter what you end up doing.

Steve
Steve-YYZ

Postby CanuckMark » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:41 pm

Thanks again Steve.

Since I'm on a Transat tourist flight, maybe I'll leave my second brain behind this time. My old P1-233 beater got a pretty thorough going-over the last time when I brought it. Even though I figure it would go pretty much the way you describe, the reply I got from the tourist info place was pretty adamant about the combo drive being verboten. Oh well, guess I'll just have to relax instead on this trip! :-)

I'll post a review/writeup when we return.

Mark
CanuckMark

Return to Cuba Travel Forum