the West Indies
$12.95

Sol Cayo Santa Maria Jan.12-19

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

Sol Cayo Santa Maria Jan.12-19

Postby Mia2 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:41 pm

Hello,
Has anyone visited this resort? I've read up as much as I could find on it, but wanted a personal review.

Any info would be great!!!!

Thanks
Mia2

Postby mojitomiss_cuba » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:55 pm

Mia, I was at the SCSM in November.
Very nice resort - although be warned it is isolated and a bit more than an hour and a half from the airport (probably less with a typical cuban driver, but our guy was driving like an old fart - for a cuban anyway, lol)

Rooms are a nice size, you can walk the beach for long periods of time (either way). To the west (left facing the ocean) you will encounter the clothing optional beach, to the east is the melia and the under-construction melia las dunas.
Great place for R&R, though lots of activities to keep you as busy around the resort as you like. Unfortunately when we were there, we had mostly red flag days, so watersports were cancelled :( It didn't stop us from going in the ocean though.
The waves were wickedly fun (though it does bring in lots of sea grass).

Are you thinking of going soon, or a few months from now?
Ask away and I'll try to answer as many of your questions as I can.
mojitomiss_cuba

Postby YVR » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:13 pm

Well, from the dates that Mia has posted- Jan. 12-19, I'd say she's planning to go soon!

Just a heads up Mia that you should expect some nudity as Santa Maria is known for this, as is the Cayo Largo area.

Have a great vacation and don't forget the sunscreen!!
YVR

Postby mojitomiss_cuba » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:24 pm

Thanks for the catch on the date YVRck, I totally gapped on that.

And yes mia, as I mentioned in my post, there is a clothing-optional area of the beach and it is used ;)
mojitomiss_cuba

Postby YVR » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:36 am

Many people mistakenly interpret the term "clothing optional beach " as topless sunbathing being allowed, when in fact it really does mean total nudity.

Just a heads up for those who may be shocked or offended to find this at Santa Maria (and Cayo Largo).
YVR

Return to Cuba Travel Forum