the West Indies
$12.95

Cuban Tourist Card

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

Cuban Tourist Card

Postby BeeBee » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:29 pm

Hello

Can anyone advise us how to fill in our Cuban Tourist cards? These are the ones that came with our flight tickets, that have been issued by the travel agent, as opposed to ones that were issued directly by an embassy.

1. We've been told that we need to fill in the date of issue as the day of our departure. There are 3 boxes for this but it doesn't say which date format it wants. Given that the date of birth box is in the format Year/Month/Day, should we do that for the date of issue too? In other words, should we put 2005 12 15 for 15th December 2005?

2. In the box where we have to fill in our country, should we put UK, UNITED KINGDOM, GREAT BRITAIN, GB or ENGLAND?

3. I'm assuming for Citizenship, we'd put BRITISH

4. We're guessing that for "address in Cuba" we can just put the name of our hotel -- the box doesn't seem big enough for a full address.

5. For "resident country", again, we're not sure if they're looking for UK, UNITED KINGDOM, GREAT BRITAIN, GB or ENGLAND?

6. For "boarding point", are they expecting LONDON, or GATWICK, or LGW, or are they expecting us to put a country?

We want to make sure we've got it right, as we understand that if we make a mistake, we'll have to pay for new cards.

Thanks
BB
BeeBee

Tourist Card

Postby yqg » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:45 pm

Hi BeeBee:
I'll try to answer your questions.
1. I've never filled in the date of issue! I've heard you are supposed to put the departure date but I've still left it blank. Never a problem (8 visits) If I was going to fill it out I think 2005 MM DD would be a good way to do it. As you say that's the way they ask for the other dates.

2. Country & Date of Birth. I've always put ENGLAND (although I'm now also Canadian and travel from Canada). I don't think any of the examples you gave would cause a problem.

3. Yes, I'd put British.

4. Address in Cuba - Your hotel name is sufficient.

5. Resident Country - again I'm sure any would work. If you put England as country of birth - put England as resident country. If you put Britain - put Britain again.

6. Boarding Point - Think I'd go with LONDON. I use TORONTO.

Don't panic too much if you make a mistake. Lightly cross out the mistake and put the correct info above or beside it. I made a mistake my first time then approximately 1 minute later the flight attendant said "don't make any mistakes or you'll have to buy another" !! I went up to the counter expecting very nervously but had no problem. I've always found the Cuban immigration/customs people very polite. I always smile and say "hola" when I approach them. I really made a mess one vacation as I had put my name on both my card and my husbands card !! And I'd given him the wrong passport to take up, he had mine (you go up one at a time). When we got it sorted out I was laughing, the official was laughing and my husband was ready to kill me!!! :) If they do make you buy another one, then don't let it spoil your holiday - pay up, fill it out and forget it! But don't lose it. We always lock our passports, exit visa & 25 CUCs in the safe as soon as we can and leave it there!

Have fun in Cuba! Feel free to PM or email me if you have any more questions. Or certainly post them here.

S.
yqg

Postby Garin » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:15 am

I agree with yqg, we used Great Britain and British,
the date format is yy/mm/dd for all dates, the card is valid for 6 months from date of issue so if you are going soon put todays date, for accomodation put the name of your hotel, our hotel changed name a few weeks before we arrived in Cuba, passed through customs with the old hotel name on without any problems.
Have a great vaccation
Garin

Postby BeeBee » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:00 am

Thank you both for your replies. We're looking forward to it. This will be our honeymoon :-)
BeeBee

Postby yqg » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:08 am

Congratulations BeeBee... which hotel are you going to?

S.
yqg

Postby BeeBee » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:02 pm

Sandals Princesa del Mar in Varadero. It's had very polarised reviews, but we're going with an open mind.
BeeBee

Return to Cuba Travel Forum