Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Don`t like the new forum...

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

Don`t like the new forum...

Postby mike from canada » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:19 pm

The old forum was much better..I don`t like the format..I`ll have to find another site for info..I`m afraid this one now sucks...Sorry to be honest, Mike from Canada.
mike from canada

Ditto

Postby CubaLover » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:23 pm

I'm with you. It's the reason I have not been on here, and won't be coming back.
CubaLover

New Format

Postby nkelly » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:26 am

Hi!
I hear ya! I do not like the new format either. Seems as though many folks may have already departed. I agree with the registering procedure in place but wish for the old format. Many of the other island pages were quiet to begin with and are now dead! This page, which is usually very active, is very quiet now as well. The format change may be the end of a once active site as we knew it. It's too bad really.
Regards,
nkelly
nkelly

Re: Don`t like the new forum...

Postby Anthony » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:14 am

mike from canada wrote:The old forum was much better..I don`t like the format..I`ll have to find another site for info..I`m afraid this one now sucks...Sorry to be honest, Mike from Canada.

It would be nice Mike to have a little more information than "this sucks". I mean everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but when there is nothing except "I don't like it" it is a little hard to a.) take you seriously, b.) do anything to improve it.

We had been using an antiquated, unsupported piece of software. All I got were complaints. We have upgraded to a much more reliable system, and integrated a registration system that everyone clamored for. Without some real input from you I have no idea what I could to even try to make this better than it is. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Anthony
Site Admin

Re: New Format

Postby Anthony » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:16 am

nkelly wrote:Hi!
Many of the other island pages were quiet to begin with and are now dead!

nkelly we are just rolling this out - it is going to take months to close all the other forums and start getting people over here. The Cuba and Anguilla forums were the first. We are just starting - give it a chance before you write my obituary please! :)
Anthony
Site Admin

Postby LisaB » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:22 am

Anthony wrote: All I got were complaints. We have upgraded to a much more reliable system, and integrated a registration system that everyone clamored for.

I find it funny that so many people complained (and I know they did) yet where are they all? The board is pretty quiet! I was not one of those people that complained for registration; the only problem it solves is others can't use your handle (which is nice protection) but unless you are going to screen for computer id's, which I doubt you will; then nothing else is solved.

The old format was (for me) just easier to follow.
As for improving this format; maybe you can make your fonts larger and add some colour (without us having to adjust our screen settings).

I hope this helps.
LisaB
Last edited by LisaB on Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LisaB

New Format

Postby nkelly » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:44 pm

Hi LisaB!
I agree with you 100% (as usual LOL!) Very well said. I am not active on many of these boards and do not know the "ins and outs" so to speak. I like that my name is protected. I will get used to the new format. There were so many complaints to Anthony about registration and apparently the old format...but where are they all now? IMO there are many people here simply to stir the pot and they have been able to get away with it for a long time. Many good posters have been attacked incessantly here and on other island boards. If you check the other boards, there is next to no travel discussion but they are all about making "new starts" (amongst themselves hee hee) with the new format?????
NEWS BULLETIN: NOBODY IS THERE BECAUSE THEY ARE FED UP WITH THE BULLYING. That is why this is all unfortunate. The controls were not there when they should have been strictly reinforced.
I NOMINATE LISAB FOR MODERATOR!!!
Regards,
nkelly
nkelly

Postby LisaB » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:07 pm

LOL thanks nkelly but I'm not on the board enough to be the moderator. I agree with you totally; the old format with registration would be great! AND with a moderator!!! But I guess it all comes down to what program Anthony wants/needs to use. Guess we'll have to get use to it.

Enjoy!
Last edited by LisaB on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LisaB

Postby Anthony » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:22 pm

I have to reiterate - want, need, etc. - they are pretty much all out the window. I <b>had</b> to use this program. It is simply the best, most up to date option out there. Ideally I would have written something to be made from scratch, but even with all the wonderful people who visit here every day there is not enough revenue to do that. The thing we were running was literally 8 years old or more I think, totally unsupported, and very antiquated. I know that not everyone is going to be happy, but we seemed to have picked up quite a few people who are pretty excited about the new system already. Times change - we are rolling with the punches here, and I still hope that we can deliver a system that will let people share useful information. That is what this whole thing is about in the end. I know that the search feature is much more useful, and the moderation and admin controls are very nice. I am laughing to myself for introducing registration - it does make for more accountability among users, but I do think it also cuts some people from participating. The one thing I have not fully thought through though was the extra amount of work it has added already! I have traded more emails about how to register and log in etc. than I care to count!
Anthony
Site Admin

Postby Steve-YYZ » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:32 pm

I like the new format in terms of operating style, but I find the font far too small to read easily. And it's simply too much problem to change my screen resolution settings just to view this site alone.

Can the font sizes be changed to a larger font. Scrolling isn't a problem, seeing is.

thanks
Steve
Steve-YYZ

new forum

Postby FE » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:50 pm

I did like the old forum better I must admit. This format is going to take some getting used to but I guess C'est La Vie ................

FE
FE

Postby Anthony » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:49 am

I will definitely look into the font size issue - thanks for letting me know.
Anthony
Site Admin

Postby yqg » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:02 pm

Well, I seem to be in the minority but I like this new format much better! I find it very easy to follow a thread and I think the font is clean & easy to read. I actually didn't like the old one and will probably visit this one more.

S.
yqg

Postby Anthony » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:29 pm

Outside of this thread and Cuba specifically, most of the response has been very positive. I don't think you are in the minority on this at all.
Anthony
Site Admin

Postby LisaB » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:43 pm

You can't please us all Anthony and it's just a matter of personal preferance. I just find the old format easier to get involved in and keep track of growing threads. However this format has a few pluses but not enough for me to like this style of forum (at this point anyhow). It is a popular format; as many other sites use it. If you fix the font size then it will make it a bit better. If this is the format you are using then I guess there is no point in complaining about which format we prefer lol; BUT if you can change formats I vote for the old style!! :)

Thanks for all your hard work and this great site!
LisaB

Next

Return to Cuba Travel Forum