West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Don`t like the new forum...

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

Postby YVR » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:09 am

Well I'm being to like this new forum format more and more. Just took a bit of getting used to! A larger font size would be nice, but it's quite readable and especially so after I've cleaned my glasses. LOL!!

What I especially appreciate is that all the nonsense we had with the old forum has stopped- hopefully for good. There are other Cuba forums around for those who look strictly for "entertainment and amusement" like gossip and chit chat, along with outright slanderous posts. Things will pick up again at Caribline over time, but for me, quality is far more important than quantity.
YVR

Postby Angel2077 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:28 am

yqg wrote:Well, I seem to be in the minority but I like this new format much better! I find it very easy to follow a thread and I think the font is clean & easy to read. I actually didn't like the old one and will probably visit this one more.

S.

I totally agree with you. Phpbb forums are THE way to go! I never liked the other one..
Angel2077

Postby will » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:45 pm

I like the new forum the way the posts flow and you cannot cut in and disrupt the flow. I'm only on here during the week on the old forum everybody was jumping in after the first post and the other posts were knock down further, so you would have Sundays post before Saturdays, with my screen setup I only saw the date when I opened the post, which was a pain
will

Postby LisaB » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:39 pm

I agree Will; that for me is one of the pluses of this format; however what I don't like is that I can't keep track of growing topics; so unless I bookmark every one or keep track of the 'number' of replies lol and that would be insane; then it's hard track growing conversations.

I agree the old format was a drag the way they all got out of order; but at least the visisted links changed colours and I could track new threads for any one topic by the colour of the link.

I wonder; is there an easier way to track growing topics with this new format that I'm not aware of?

Thanks.
LisaB

Postby Angel2077 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:03 pm

When topics have new messages, they have an orange square with an arrow just before the title. Just click on the square and you will be sent directly to the new messages.

Angel2077

Postby LisaB » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:58 pm

Thanks! that sure makes it easier.
LisaB

Like the New forum, but where is the archival search button?

Postby Rachel » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:00 pm

I quite like this new format, though it does not seem nearly as active as the old board. Hopefully it will resume its usual activity. One thing I am curious about is the possibility of searching archives. I do remember that this used to be a feature on the old board, so that one could research particular topics rather than having them posted over and over again. I suppose this bnoard is new so there aren't many archives to search, but once it has been running for a while, I would like to know if this will be a feature. Thanks.
Rachel

Postby Angel2077 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:18 am

At the top of your screen, between the FAQ and Profile, you have the search button ;)
Angel2077

Postby Rachel » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:42 pm

Got it...thanks very much!
Rachel

Postby LisaB » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:18 pm

Anthony, you have this legend (see below) at the bottom of the page; you should move it to the top of the page. Now that I know how this new format works, I don't mind it so much. Maybe others are not aware either.

(images didn't paste)

Announcement Sticky
LisaB

Postby LisaB » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:19 am

I also noticed that unless you 'log in' when you visit the page; the new message notification (yellow boxes) doesn't show up.

I think you need to make this info available uptop; so everyone is aware; otherwise folks might think there is no activity on the go.

(Also any way to have the parpagraph NOT scroll all the way across the screen; it's hard to read and I have 1024 x 768 pixles. You need a specify your page width. It doesn't seem to be a problem on all pages ie; page 1 of this topic is fine).

Thanks!

ps Ok did you just add this at the top or was it always there? LOL Thanks either way! (image) New Posts (image) No New Posts
LisaB

Postby Anthony » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:12 pm

Right - you have to be logged in to see the changes... there really is no way to put all this information on one screen, but I will work on the FAQ. All the answers are there if you take a minute. I did add those small icons to the top of the page.

The scrolling issue is something different altogether - someone must have copied and pasted something with out line breaks, so it breaks the table width - this is very ugly and annoying and I am looking at fixes for it.

Thanks -

Anthony
Anthony
Site Admin

Postby LisaB » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:50 pm

Try to specify your table and cell widths.

Thanks for your efforts!! Now that I know how to work the board it's easier to follow. Just have to get those fonts a bit bigger; if you can. :)
LisaB

Previous

Return to Cuba Travel Forum