the West Indies
$12.95

Breaking my own rule!

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

Breaking my own rule!

Postby nkelly » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:00 pm

Hi!
Yes, I am considering Holguin for a week or two in February! My biggest concern is hot weather. If anyone can elaborate on their personal weather experiences in this area of Cuba in February it would be greatly appreciated. Any hotel tips would also be great. We have to be on a spectacular beach with palm trees and calm water if possible. We are a group of 3 adults, one requiring a single supplement (info regarding SS would be VERY helpful). Thanking you in advance.
Regards,
nkelly
nkelly

Postby LisaB » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:24 am

Hi nkelly,

just curious; what does your subject title mean? :)

LisaB
LisaB

My Rule LOL!

Postby nkelly » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:29 pm

Hi LB!
I've always said I would not again return to Cuba during the months of Dec, Jan or Feb due to very cool weather that I encountered. I am somewhat out-numbered with my fellow travellers who want to consider Holguin (it is at lease further south than Varadero and CC) for February. I am still reluctant and want as much feedback from the good folks here who may have some experiences. Thus far, not much by way of replies unfortunately so I may still win the battle LOL! I prefer to go further south in the island chain for a weather guarantee during those months.
Regards,
nkelly
nkelly

Postby Bigjohn » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:55 pm

Hi nkelly
If you go farther south, to Santiago de Cuba, that is usually warmer. I was there Jan. '05 and we had temps in the low to mid 30's while Holguin was struggling to reach 25. The mountains are a great barrier.
Bigjohn.
Bigjohn

Postby YVR » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:44 am

We stayed at Playa Turquesa third week of February 2004 and had great weather. I would have no reservations about going to this area of Cuba again in February, but I suggest you check the historical weather data at www.wunderground.com

My resort choice would be the Sol Luna Mares resort at Playa Esmeralda. Esmeralda is the nicest beach in this area.
YVR

Postby rodraad2006 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:35 am

Ditto Playa Esmerelda .. wouldn't even consider being on any other beach in Holquin area

(there's both Paradisus Rio de Oro and Sol Luna Mares resort)
rodraad2006

Holguin in February

Postby nkelly » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:07 am

Hi Guys!
Thanks for your replies.
Bigjohn, are there white beaches in that part of Cuba? With regard to the new format, when I reply to an established thread do I need to retype the name of the thread each time?

Hi rodraad and YVR and thank you for your vote of confidence for Playa Esmeralda. It is officially on the short list. As well, any info on decent single supplements at hotels in the area would be useful.

Regards,
nkelly
nkelly

Postby Bigjohn » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:01 am

The sand in the area at Brisas Sierra Mar could be described as golden. It is not dark brown as I was expecting, but a tan colour.
If replying to a post, you don't need to type in the subject line. It knows.....
Bigjohn.
Bigjohn

Postby nkelly » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:38 pm

Hi bigjohn!
White sand is very important to me LOL! The 5 degree weather differance is significant however. I appreciate you input. Thanks!
nkelly
nkelly

Return to Cuba Travel Forum