Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Grand Cayman Trip Review

Travel & news discussion about the Cayman Islands

Moderator: Skip

Grand Cayman Trip Review

Postby Writerdivine » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:48 am

We were unsure of what to expect of Cayman, having never visited the Caribbean. We were pleasantly surprised in many ways and I think we experienced a lot of unique sites to Cayman.

The highlights of our six day visit to Grand Cayman at the end of March included:

High Flying
We started our trip with a helicopter tour of the island with Jerome of Cayman Islands Helicopters. It was a great way to get an overview of the island and get some fantastic pictures of the Caribbean. Jerome had a lot of great information about the island. If you’ve never been in a helicopter Jerome does some great maneuvers I’m sure you can only do in a helicopter or a roller coaster.

Kayaking
We did some kayaking with a company called Cayman Kayaks. We did a Sunset Tour and their Bioluminescence Tour. Neither my husband nor I have ever kayaked and we found it very easy. Very enjoyable to glide on the Caribbean with an introduction to the Mangroves, stop at sunset for a Rum Punch and watch the sun disappear on the horizon. The tour that takes your breath away and is almost indescribable is the Bioluminescence Tour. You paddle to a cove full of glow-in-the-dark ‘water’. You stir up the water and it’s a glowing cloud of light. They do a great job of explaining the phenomenon. It has to be pitch black to get the best effect so the tour only runs for a couple of weeks a month. We lucked out with our timing. . When the fish streak by, they leave a trail of light like fireworks, leaving you speechless. They mentioned that there is only one other place in the world with such concentrated bioluminescence I highly recommend trying something unique like this.

Food
We had a great lunch in a fabulous, comfortable, sunny island decorated spot at the Sunshine Suites Resort. One of us had the “Everything but the sink” burger and it was HUGE! We also drank Painkillers in cool tin cups. It’s just off of 7MB and worth searching for.

Stingray City / Sandbar
What an experience. Besides getting 2 snorkel stops, the stingray stop was truly distinctive and worth the time.

Snorkeling
We had never snorkeled before and were unsure of the difficulty. It was so easy – just float and breathe through your mouth. We loved that many sites were accessible from the beach – you didn’t need to be on a boat. We snorkeled at:
Smith’s Cove – shallow with lots of fish
Coral Garden and Sandbar (as part of Stingray City tour)
Cemetery Beach Reef – our favorite because we went out and saw quite a bit on the reef but maybe 12 feet off shore was a great bunch of fish and coral close to the surface in shallow water.

East End
We also took a tour to the east end of the island and I would recommend it if you have a day when the wind is strong. It’s quieter on the east side but equally beautiful. So take your car and go for a drive. There is commuter traffic early in the morning and in the late afternoon, so try to go in between those times so you can really enjoy the slower side of island life.
Writerdivine

Postby larem51 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:36 pm

Enjoyed the trip report.

Could you tell us who you went out with on your stingray city trip?
larem51

Cayman Trip Report

Postby Writerdivine » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:59 pm

larem51 - I hope the trip report will be helpful when you're planning your trip.

We went with Captain Marvin's Watersports for our Stingray City tour. They were casual and professional.

Have a great trip!
Writerdivine

Postby larem51 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:03 pm

Thanks

We generally make it to GC for a couple weeks each year. I was just curious who you went with and how you liked them.

We love Captain Marvin's all day trips. I am very glad you had such a good time, and appreciate the time that goes into a good trip report. Thanks again.
larem51

Postby GCSandy » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:31 pm

Writerdivine,
Thanks for the trip report. I thought I knew everything about the Rum Point area but I never knew they had a bio-bay. Exactly where is it located if you can remember?
Thanks, Sandy
GCSandy

Postby Writerdivine » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:07 pm

Sorry for the delay. Well that's a good question. We were a little turned around, and it was dark, but I believe it was somewhere between Rum Point and Kaibo Yacht Club. Sorry - but that is the best I can do.
Writerdivine

Bioluminescence Tour

Postby shawn » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:59 pm

Where can we find more info on the Bioluminescence Tour. How much, what weeks of every month?, who to contact, etc...
Please & Thanks, Shawn
shawn

Postby NorthsideSue » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:39 pm

For the Bio.. tour, you can contact Cayman Kayaks at bob@caymankayaks.com
NorthsideSue

Return to Cayman Islands Travel Forum